What Does Love Have To Do With It?

I was on my way to get coffee with one of my friends a few weeks ago and this question came up. What does love have to do with it? What does love have to do with drinking coffee together, with sending a letter, with simply calling someone? Would you send a card to an enemy (other than a nasty letter that is)? Would you go see a movie with someone who hates your guts? I'm not talking about the lovey-duby kind of love, but the kind of love that you would suffer for them, that you would offer your time, your life if it would help them. That is the love that I am speaking of, and it is far too scarce. We live in a world where if they can't give you anything in return, they aren't worth your time; if they can't tell you who you are or give you pleasure or acceptance, they aren't worth having around. It is truly a beautiful thing when you can love someone for who they are and not need anything in return. Even if it doesn't look like love to others, even if it is never spoken of or named, even if it they don't see it, it is love none the less. What does love have to do with it? Love has everything to do with it.

1 comments:

Grace said...

Dude, this is what I was trying to say:) I don't have to LIKE someone to love them...though that helps, and no, i wouldn't go to a movie with someone I hate...excuse me, "dislike strongly". ;)