No Dishwashers For Man

I know what you're thinking "what kind of title is that?" and,"Of course there are, they're called showers." Well, just to let you know, I agree, but that's not what this post is about. This post is about an idea I had about Christianity, the idea being that all of our lives being like glasses (the drinking kind). What I mean by that is this: our lives as Christians is meant to point to God, to show His love to the world, essentially, to let Him shine through us. So if we have things that are keeping us from doing that, if we are dirty glasses, how is god supposed to shine through us? Not to say that you will ever be perfectly clean, or that He can't shine through dirty glasses, but to say that the cleaner we are the more readily He will use you. Would You want to drink out of a dirty glass when You have a clean one in the cabinet?

Shoot, look at David, he was totally sold out for God. He was like that moon, perfectly reflecting God's light on the earth, and yet he still had his dark spots, his craters, his uncleanliness. Just because we can't reach perfection doesn't mean that we should not strive after it. It's sorta like chasing a rainbow. You chase after it knowing that you will never reach the Pot O' Gold at the end, but you run anyway. But while you are running after it, chasing it, you are growing stronger from the chase itself, from 'running the race' as many a Church of Christ-er would put it.
Another thought I have on the subject of perfection is one that I see playing out in my life. I have always admired David and a strong man of God, almost like a role model of how a man should be. I've even caught myself trying to be like David, which is certainly no not a bad thing, but as I though about it, I realized this: Why would I strive to reach an earthly limit to righteousness when I could be reaching for the giver of all righteousness? It's like reaching for the sky when the stars are right before my eyes.


If I want to be closer to God, if I want to be righteous, if I want to be a light that shines His name, then I need to start the cleaning process myself. No one else can do it for me, and there is no dishwasher, I have to do it by hand, one spot at a time; but thankfully, God is holding the soap.

0 comments: