What is "the Trinity"?

I had a question in history class this week that brought this up. We were talking in revelation and reading that Jesus would come back on the last day, and how it said that God only knows the time of Jesus' coming.

Well, I've always been told all my life that God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit are all the same, yet all different, but how could they be the same and yet not know what the other one thought? Wouldn't that make God, un-God? If He didn't know everything that is and will happen then how could our world exist? God could not be who he is without having all knowledge, could He? So how then can you say that God knows something that Jesus does not, if indeed God and Jesus are the same? Would it be possible for the two to inhabit the same space, and yet not know the same things? If indeed it is possible, and God knows something that Jesus does not, wouldn't that make Jesus inferrior to God in that way? Just some food for thought. Please, post replies, I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks about this.

2 comments:

Grace said...

Even though God made man in his own image, man will never have the knowledge or wisdom of our Lord. So we cannot fully understand the Trinity. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I think that it is kind of like a marriage. I know that's strange...a marriage between a father and his son and some random spirit. =P But seriously, they are three separate beings, but have been combined into one! Why don't we think its weird when a husband says "My wife went to the store." when they are the same! They are one! Once again, we shall never completely understand our father...

Jill said...

My opinion :)

Jesus willingly took the red pill and came to earth. That put human limits on him. I do not believe he has those limits now, but it was temporary. I think saying "God only knows" includes Jesus and the Holy Spirit. They are one. It is like any other quality or characteristic of God - the same is true for Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Just my thoughts at the end of a long day.... hope they make sense :)