A Bottled Up Love

Coming back from Sigma has been really heard for me, coming back into the real world. I find myself trying to get back to Ute Trail, trying to get back to that unity with Christians and with God up there on the mountain top. I cried and cried as we left, thinking that I would never be here again, thinking that this is where I was free to live. But as I have walked with God and shared my heart with him about this doubt, he has reminded me that our mission is here, that this is what we have trained for.
Think about Jesus' disciples for a second. They shared total unity with Jesus and with fellow Christians, something I only had a taste of in Colorado. But when Jesus left them, when he sent them back into the world, they did not struggle and reach for a way back with Jesus, they went out and showed the rest of the world God's love. Think about Superman in "Superman Returns", he lays dying on the Krypton island, paralyzed and held down by this earth. He finally breaks out and is able to reach out to the sun, to restore his life and purpose. And yet though he is where he draws his strength, where he is fully alive, he remembers what his strength is for. He does not stay where he is closest to his power, instead he returns to earth where he can be overcome by weakness and be held down and caged, but he does it to free others. That is why we are here, that is why we are on this earth. Every purpose in our life is to free those around us, to show them God's perfect and passionate love for them. Satan wants me to walk away from camp and keep this love to myself, to bottle it up and never share it with anyone. It is when I remember my mission and go out into the world changed and on fire for God that I become a dangerous threat to the enemy. Remember what we are called to be as Christians, remember and never forget why we are here on this battlefield:
We are on a mission, and that mission will take us places where we will be shot at and sought out. We are behind enemy lines, taking the world by storm.

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners, a]">

2 to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,

3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.

Isaiah 61:1-3

WE ARE ON A MISSION.

Never forget that.

Your brother in Him,
Christopher Coan

1 comments:

Steve Coan said...

This reminds me of two people who went through the same thing and were captured in the pages of the Bible.

Peter and Mary.

I'm not so sure that the disciples had a 3 year mountain top experience walking with Jesus. For a couple of reasons I say this.

First, 3 years is a long time to do spectacular things--there had to have been a lot of mundane tasks and stuff to take care of--no camp kitchen staff, no camp director, etc. Some of them had to make preparations for the Passover feast. And knowing these guys, I'm sure they spread the chores. I can't imagine anyone getting to "sit on Jesus' right and left" while the rest did all the work (if you know what I mean).

Second, I'm not sure the disciples recognized Jesus as God. I'm not sure at all. In fact I'm quite convinced that they didn't start thinking of him as God until much later. After he had left them.

So, why this is important to me--the thing about the disciples not having 3 whole years of mountain top living--is this. They could have been a lot like me. They spent a lot of time with God right beside them, right inside them, without giving much thought to it. And the thought they did give to it left more questions than answers. So I can relate a lot to that.

And that brings me to Peter and Mary. Because these two spent a LOT of time with Jesus, probably more than anyone else. Maybe Peter a little more. Maybe Mary. Mary Magdalene that is. I know Jesus' mother Mary may have spent the most of all, but I'm talking about big Jesus (not the Ricky Bobby Jesus). So when I read these two stories about them, I realized that they were probably talking about a mountain top experience just like I have had.

Peter
On one mountain top, Jesus asked Peter, James, and John to follow him. When they got there, Jesus was glorified. "His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light." And then Moses and Elijah appeared and the three of them had a chat. And then Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah." But then God praised his Son out of a cloud, and Moses and Elijah disappeared. The scene ended with Jesus telling Peter, James, and John not to tell anybody what they had seen until until the time came.

I think Peter wanted to stay on that mountain top forever, to bottle up all that glory. I think I probably would have, too. "It is good for us to be here." But apparently it's only good for a little while.

Mary
After Jesus returned from the dead, Mary was the first one to see him in his new glory. She reached for him, but it wasn't to be. She got a glimpse, a smile, a personal encounter. And I'm sure, after all she had been through with him, after all she had seen him go through, after all she had seen her friends go through, that she just wanted to hold him forever. But Jesus said, "Do not hold on to me".

Maybe it is because love is only good when it's fresh. It sours in a bottle.

Or maybe it is because we have this "mission of love", this freedom fight, this place in the larger story that must be joined in the violent valleys below, not the peaceful peaks above.

Or maybe these two are the same thing. Maybe my personal encounter with God is for me, not anyone else. Maybe the words of God from the cloud are for my benefit, not anyone else's. Maybe God's love for me is really for me. And then by extension, my neighbor's personal encounter with me is for her. My words are for my neighbor's benefit. My love for my neighbor is for him.

There's just no bottle for this stuff. It's too strong. Bottle it up and the bottle breaks. My love goes free.